David Cavanaugh, MD
David A. Cavanaugh, MD
About Dr. Cavanaugh
Dr. David A. Cavanaugh has been in private practice for over 32 years in Shreveport as a neurosurgeon since completing his residency at the University of Texas Health Sciences Center and his medical degree from the LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport.
He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Neurological Surgery, the American Board of Spine Surgery and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Cavanaugh has received honors that include the Trustees’ Distinguished Service Award by the Board of Trustees at Louisiana College for support of the college, his church and community and for his exemplary contributions in the field of medicine and the Community Service award from the Louisiana State Medical Society. Dr. Cavanaugh is also a contributing author for many neurosurgical publications, including Youman’s Neurosurgical Surgery, The Journal of Neurosurgery and Surgical Neurology.
Dr. Cavanaugh has served as the Chairman of ThinkFirst National Injury Prevention Foundation, an organization dedicated to the prevention of traumatic injuries among young people. He has spoken both nationally and internationally about this program that reaches over 500,000 young people a year, has had major influences on public policy initiatives, and continues to expand to reach those most vulnerable to traumatic injuries.
Dr. Cavanaugh’s hobbies include piano, scuba diving, golf, snow skiing and snowboarding, travel, and videography. He is married to Donna Burnley Cavanaugh, ThinkFirst State Director and Executive Director for the ArkLaTex Chapter.
- Board Certified Neurosurgeon
- Non-Operative Cervical & Lumbar Spine
- Evaluation & Treatment of Disorders of the Spine
- Louisiana College – BS in Biology – Valedictorian (1978)
- LSU Medical Center Shreveport – Doctor of Medicine (1981)
- LSU Medical Center Shreveport – General Surgery Internship (1981-1982)
- University of Texas Health Sciences San Antonio – Neurological Surgery Residency (1982-1987)
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Southern Society of Neurological Surgeons
- Louisiana State Neurosurgical Society
- American Medical Association
- Louisiana State Medical Society
- Shreveport Medical Society
- North American Spine Society
- World Spine Society
"There is no pain now. I haven't had any pain since the surgeries. And, I have not had any pain medication since 4-5 days after surgery."
Take The First Step
Schedule An Appointment!
Our friendly and knowledgeable staff are available to answer any questions.